We all know that certain plants and flowers can be dangerous if your cat eats them. You can visit the ASPCA website for the full list of crops to avoid. Here, however, we will focus on whether lilies are potentially harmful to cats.
This is especially important to talk about Easter as many people bring Easter lilies home without considering the danger they pose to pets.
If you have cats in your family, read on and think twice if you want to bring home these lovely lilies!
The statistics on lilies and cat parents
An article in the Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association In 2011, the focus was on lily exposure in 57 cats. It included statistics on pet parent awareness of lily toxicity.
The results showed that 73 percent of cat parents were unaware of the risks associated with lilies. More worryingly, 27 percent were aware of the potential threat but still brought lilies into the home.
What does that tell us? If these numbers are representative of all cat parents, then there is a need to increase awareness of lily exposure.
What can happen if a cat eats lilies?
Eating even tiny amounts of a lily can cause acute kidney failure in cats. All parts – flowers, leaves, even pollen – are potentially toxic.
There is no test for lily toxicity. The diagnosis is based on a known or suspected history of ingestion or seeing parts of plants in a cat’s vomit.
While we don’t know exactly why lilies are poisonous to cats, we do know that early and aggressive therapy is needed to save cats that eat lilies.
How are cats that eat lilies treated?
When your cat eats lilies or you suspect You could have You must call your ambulance immediately.
The initial treatment for cats that eat lilies is induction of vomiting to empty the stomach as soon as possible after ingestion – ideally within an hour – and medication to help absorb the toxin from the gastrointestinal tract to prevent.
The cat may then be given 48 hours of intravenous fluid therapy to ensure that the kidneys are still working properly.
Prognosis: is the treatment effective?
As long as cats that eat lilies receive immediate and complete treatment and kidney counts remain normal 48 to 72 hours later, they have a good long-term prognosis.
If a cat eating a lily does not intervene early, signs of kidney failure usually appear within two to four days, and unfortunately the death rate is high.
Lilies are a serious threat to cats. Don’t be one of the 27 percent of cat parents who know about the risk but still bring lilies home, especially at Easter.
Do you keep lilies out of your home because of your cats? What flowers should a cat parent bring home instead? Let us know in the comments below!